Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A Savory Saving


We love herbs. Every time we cook, it will not be complete until we put some fresh herbs on it. Our favorites are basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and lemon grass. If you buy those, a small pack would cost $3 to $4 each. We try to save the leftovers but most of the times, they end up in the trash can.

I always feel bad everytime I throw away the wilted or dried herbs. It is like throwing money in the trash can. 

Since we only like using fresh herbs, I decided to plant my own to eliminate waste. I bought two large pots and planted basil and parsley on one, and oregano and thyme on the other. I planted the rosemary and lemon grass on the ground. 

The ones that I planted on the pots are the ones that cannot stand very cold temperature. During winter, I move them to a protected area or inside the house. I even transfer some in a smaller pot and place it on the kitchen counter. In that way, I would have an endless supply of herbs. 

If you live in an apartment and do not have a yard, you can always plant your favorite herbs on small pots and have a little herb garden in your kitchen.

I let the herbs flowers and produce seeds, then let the seeds fall in the pot and grow. They reproduce themselves pretty well. It has been three years since I planted my herbs and I have not yet had to buy any new seeds.

Not only the herb adds beauty to the landscape, it also provides soothing aroma. What a way to save! 


No comments:

Post a Comment